Christina II

built 1952 by Weatherhead, James, Eyemouth

Designated ensign Designated house flag

1418

Registered


Fishing Vessel

Ring-netter


Charleston


Private use

Private: operating


No

Yes


08/06/1999

06/05/2011



Gallery


Propulsion

Motor

Inboard diesel


1965

None


None


Dimensions

To be confirmed

13.70 feet (4.18 metres)


39.67 feet (12.10 metres)

4.98 feet (1.52 metres)


0.00


History

CHRISTINA II, motor fishing vessel, built by James Weatherhead at Eyemouth in 1952 as WHITE HEATHER. Official number A123382. Port of Registry LH256 (LH35 in 1952). Name was changed to SILVER CREST. Hull is carvel built of oak frames, larch planking and pitch pine deck, fastened with iron nails. Vessel has pointed bow, cruiser stern and raked reflex stem. has one deck, 2 timber masts used with a gaff steadying sail as traditional Scottish MFV. Current engine is Perkins 6354 diesel, 6cy, bore 98.4mm x stroke 127mm, 95bhp. Was originally a Kelvin K3. Built for John and James Aitchson and WHITE HEATHER. Sold to persons unknown and renamed SILVER CREST. Sold again to James Harkness and Hugh Ritchie, Port Seton and renamed CHRISTINA II after Mr Ritchie's wife. Operated for many years out of Port Seton and Greenock and was familiar sight on Clyde & Forth Canal. Was operated between 1959 and 1980 unaltered. Advertised for sale in Fishing News in 1980. LOA 39ft 7in, reg length 39ft 2in, beam 13ft 7in, dr 5ft. Engine Kelvin 66 overhauled May 1980. Fife winch and drums. Wheelhouse units, Kelvin Hughes MS echo sounder, Seavoice VHF, Seascan radar. Sold to David Reid of Port Seton (local coastguard) who won Port Seton Best Dressed Boat in 1982. Sold to Derek Bailey of Edinburgh and then rescued by present owner in 1986. Source; Present owner 1998 No longer fishing Not listed as fishing DEFRA 1 July 2008 GH

Previous names

  1. White Heather
  2. Silver Crest

Subsequent developments

6 May 2011
Fished most of its life from Port Seaton till 1996 when she was decommissioned. Purchased Privately and moved to Port Edgar where she was partly converted and renailed. Sold in 2003 and moved to North Queensferry where due to owners ill health she deteriorated. Sold to present owners 18/9/10 she has been getting restored since.

Vessel's special historical significance:
One of the few 40ft ringnet fishing vessels left today hull still in original condition as is forcastle and decks, wheelhouse is new but similar to original and hold is converted. Vessel is and will be exhibited at classic boat festivals on east coast
Source: current owners.

Key dates

  1. 1952

    Built by J Weatherhead

  2. 1996

    Decommissioned from fishing

  3. 2003

    Sold and moved to North Queensferry

  4. 2010

    Sold to present owners

If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

Region news headlines

New display on Fishermen at War opens

New display on Fishermen at War opens to commemorate fishermen and their role in wartime

Plans for Reaper forge ahead

Tarbert Traditional Boat Festival 2017

15th & 16th July

Read all our news »

Contact us

Shipshape symbol Shipshape Network
Park Row, Greenwich
London SE10 9NF

tel: 0208 312 8558
fax: 0208 312 6632
email: info@shipshapenetwork.org.uk

Follow us