Amaranth LH253

MFV built 1947 by Weatherhead, William & Son, Cockenzie

Designated ensign Designated house flag

2568

Registered


Fishing Vessel

Ring-netter


MFV

Oban


Ongoing conservation

Restoration


Yes

No


27/03/2012

30/06/2016



Gallery


Propulsion

Motor

Diesel


1961

None


Dimensions

To be confirmed

16.50 feet (5.03 metres)


54.00 feet (16.46 metres)

5.90 feet (1.80 metres)


0.00


History

AMARANTH LH253 was built in 1947 and owned by the McCreath Brothers from launch.  Based in Peel on the Isle of Man, the vessel once landed a 110 cran shot of herring on 3 September 1948.  She worked from the Isle of Man to the West of Scotland via Ireland, retiring from fishing in 1991 and has been used as a motor yacht ever since.  AMARANTH had her original Kelvin k4 replaced in 1961 with a Kelvin T4.

Previous names

  1. Erica II BA26

Key dates

  1. 1948 Landed a 110 cran shot of herring on 3rd September, fishing off the Isle of Man
  2. 1949 Vessel built by Weatherheads in Cockenzie, Scotland
  3. 1961 Original Kelvin k4 engine was replaced with a Kelvin T4
  4. 1991 Retired from fishing to be used as a motor yacht
If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

Region news headlines

New display on Fishermen at War opens

New display on Fishermen at War opens to commemorate fishermen and their role in wartime

Plans for Reaper forge ahead

Tarbert Traditional Boat Festival 2017

15th & 16th July

Read all our news »

Contact us

Shipshape symbol Shipshape Network
Park Row, Greenwich
London SE10 9NF

tel: 0208 312 8558
fax: 0208 312 6632
email: info@shipshapenetwork.org.uk

Follow us