Asco

Fast Seagoing Motor Boat built 1941 by Watercraft of Molesey, Molesey

Designated ensign Designated house flag

1982

Registered


Fighting Vessel

Launch


Fast Seagoing Motor Boat

Plymouth


None

Restoration


No

No


17/06/2005

22/07/2011


Web site

www.worldwartwoboats.com

Gallery


Propulsion

Motor

Diesel


1960

None


None


Dimensions

To be confirmed

14.00 feet (4.27 metres)


60.00 feet (18.30 metres)

3.00 feet (0.92 metres)


0.00


History

This vessel was ordered by the Admiralty from Watercraft Ltd in March 1941 and was known as number 4195. Once complete, 4195 was adopted by Fleet Air Arm personnel and then went on to serve at RNAS Condor in Arbroath during the Second World War.

On 14 July 1946, she was listed for disposal, but was actually sold out of service in 1948 and taken on by the Scottish Seaweed Research Association. It was the Institute of Seaweed Research who named her ASCO and registered her with Lloyds Register of Shipping; an entry which indicates that by this time she had one less engine and shaft than when built.

Timbercraft Ltd of Dumbartonshire acquired ASCO in 1956, but kept her for only one year before she was bought by Richard Sinclair Wilkins of Hertfordshire. He took ASCO to Falmouth and converted her into a motor yacht for his private use.

In 1959, her name was changed to MONKSWOOD and she retained this name when purchased by Frank Vinnicombe of Mylor Creek, Falmouth in 1972. Under his ownership, she was used for shark fishing and Frank reported that ‘she could make the Eddystone Light in one hour – a distance of sixteen nautical miles’.

In 1989, she was sold again and moved to Bristol and her current owners discovered her moored on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal. In recent years, MONKSWOOD has been restored to a high standard, with eighty percent of the work now completed. The majority of her structure has been rebuilt using both old and new techniques and the project continues to bring her back to fully operational service. She is the only remaining FSMB (Fast Seagoing Motor Boat) and, as such, is a significant part of Britain’s naval heritage.

Subsequent developments

January 2007 - March 2008
A Sustainability Grant of £3000 for new stanchions and a full survey was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships.
Source: National Historic Ships.

Key dates

  1. 1941

    Built by Watercraft or Molesey

  2. 1946

    Listed for disposal

  3. 1947

    New owner

  4. 1948

    Sold out of service

  5. 1956

    New owner

  6. 1959

    Name changed to Monkswood

  7. 1972

    New owner

  8. 1989

    New owner

  9. 2000-2005

    Extensive renovation done

  10. 2008

    Awarded a grant by NHS-UK

If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

Region news headlines

Shipbuilders are recreating a famous Cornish vessel from 1852

A group of shipbuilders are using traditional techniques to recreate a famous Cornish vessel

Would you like to volunteer for the weekend with Trinity Sailing?

Trinity Sailing is glad to announce the continuation of its popular programme of volunteer…

The Spirit of Falmouth glided serenely into the Dart

On a misty morning, Monday, September 25, the Spirit of Falmouth, a tall ship of The Princes Trust,…

Read all our news »

Contact us

Shipshape symbol Shipshape Network
Park Row, Greenwich
London SE10 9NF

tel: 0208 312 8558
fax: 0208 312 6632
email: info@shipshapenetwork.org.uk

Follow us