Beatty

built 1937 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Designated ensign Designated house flag

122

Registered


Cargo Vessel

Barge


Leigh


Private use

Private Use


No

No


08/02/1996

01/07/2016


Web site

www.nbbeatty.co.uk

Gallery


Propulsion

Motor

Diesel


None

None


Dimensions

To be confirmed

7.00 feet (2.13 metres)


70.06 feet (21.34 metres)

2.10 feet (0.79 metres)


25.00


History

Built in 1937, by W.J.Yarwood & Sons, of Northwich, Cheshire, for the Samuel Barlow Coal Company Limited, BEATTY, was launched in Norwich in November 1937 for final fitting out by Lees & Atkins at Polesworth. BEATTY was originally fitted with a Petter single cylinder 12/14 hp semi-diesel engine. She is currently powered by an Armstrong Siddeley 22 h.p. twin cylinder, air cooled diesel engine, fitted in 1955, believed to be the first of its type fitted in a narrow boat. BEATTY worked for Barlows for 22 years carrying coal from the Warwickshire coalfields down the Grand Union and Oxford Canals. She is known to have been paired with Barlows buttys IRONSIDE, LITTLE MARVEL, IRENE and probably others over the years. BEATTY was sold in 1960 for conversion to an eight berth cruising boat. A timber cabin was constructed by Waltons then fitted out by the owner at Brewood on the Shropshire Union Canal. Beatty cruised many of the Midlands waterways in the mid 1960s. She was used as the official boat at the reopening of the Stourbridge 16 locks in 1967. In 1968 BEATTY changed hands again. She has remained in the same ownership since then, being used for extensive cruising over most of the inland waterways system. She has travelled as far north as York and as far south as Godalming, to Bristol in the west, Cambridge and Boston in the east. The original timber boatman’s cabin was replaced in 1987 with a new steel cabin by David Harris at Coseley, near Wolverhampton. It has been refitted, re- using some of the old cabin furniture. In early 2006 the boat was completely rebottomed, using Opepe to replace the worn out Elm. This also involved replacement of most of the keelson. This work was carried out by Malcolm Webster on Worsley Dry Dock. In August 2006, BEATTY was taken to Brinklow Boat Services for replacement of the timber cabin. After carefully measuring and photographing the old cabin it was replaced with a steel replica, retaining the distinctive lines and style of the 1960s conversion. This was finished in the summer of 2007. Fitting out was completed at Brinklow in 2008. The hull is 100% original iron sides, new opepe bottom maintaining original construction. Original engine room, replica boatman's cabin, steel conversion which replicates 1960s timber cabin.

Subsequent developments

March 2012  Vessel chosen to take part in Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant.  Source: vessel owner.

Key dates

  1. 1937

    Built by WJ Yarwood of Northwich

  2. 1967

    Used as official boat at reopening of Stourbridge 16 locks

  3. 1968

    Change of ownership

  4. 2012

    Vessel selected to take part in the Avenue of Sail, Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012

If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

Region news headlines

Last chance for a cruise in 2017

Daniel Adamson's very last cruise happening in October 2017

ss Freshspring open to the public 7-10 Sept

Historic vessel taking part in Heritage Open Days

Historic Ellesmere Port steam ship declared Regional Flagship of the Year for the North West

Daniel Adamson presented with Regional Flagship pennant

Read all our news »

Contact us

Shipshape symbol Shipshape Network
Park Row, Greenwich
London SE10 9NF

tel: 0208 312 8558
fax: 0208 312 6632
email: info@shipshapenetwork.org.uk

Follow us